Voices of Kansas, digitally published by the Kansas Association of Teachers of English, welcomes manuscripts and artwork in the categories of Perspectives & Literary Criticism, Artistic Expression, Poetry, and Creative Fiction & Non-Fiction from educators, student teachers, and students in grades 3-6 & 7-12. Our mission is for this journal to be a place for young writers to have a voice through both written and visual expression. Editor's choice entries will be featured with lesson plans aligned to Common Core Standards for use by English Language Arts teachers in the state of Kansas.
Download the Voices of Kansas Poster Here
Guidelines: All submissions must be made by a KATE member and include student and/or teacher name, school address, teacher or school telephone number, teacher email address, and school affiliation within the body of the email to which your entry is attached. Also include preferred ebook format: .mobi (Kindle), .epub (iBooks), or .pdf. Submissions to Voices of Kansas will be reviewed by both editors of the journal, and the editors will share critiques with the author and will work with authors advancing toward publication in the journal. We will acknowledge reception of manuscripts by email, and constructive feedback will be provided for all submissions.Voices of Kansas will publish in the spring, and all applicants will receive an emailed copy of the journal.
Please send electronic submissions to this Google Form
Written manuscripts (literary criticism, poetry, creative fiction & non-fiction)
- Deadline: Jan 31, 2019
- Word count limit for prose and essay: 1000
- Line count limit for poetry: 100
- Word count limit for artist statements: 100
- Typed (Times New Roman 12-point font)
- Numbered according to page, and conform -- if applicable -- to MLA or APA guidelines
- Save attached work as (.doc/.docx) for Word or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
- No identifying information should appear on the manuscript.
- Submit photographs of non-digitized art (pottery, etc.) in one of the following formats: .jpg, .jpeg, .png
- Digital art should be one of the following formats: .jpg, .jpeg, .png
- Include a 100 word (maximum) written description of the piece
Note: Teachers - please include the grade level of the student submitting work.